Get started with Amethyst
A step-by-step guide to getting started with Nostr with the Amethyst Android client.
Step 1 - Install the app
- Install the Amethyst app on the Android App Store.
- When you open the app you’ll have the option to create a new account or to log in with a private key you’ve already generated.
Step 2 - Creating a new account
- Click on “Generate a new key”.
- Congratulations, you’ve just created a new Nostr identity! 🤙
- You get redirected to the home screen and show “Feed is empty. Refresh”, because you are not yet following any other accounts. We’ll take care of that later.
- Just one last extremely important step. You should keep your private key in a safe place. To do this, click on the icon with the weird-looking robot at the top left corner, which is currently your profile picture. A sidebar will appear.
- Navigate to “Backup Keys” and click “Copy my secret key” at the bottom.
- Your private key is now on your smartphone’s clipboard, it’s best to keep it in a VERY safe place. ‘1Password’ or any other password manager is a good option. Remember, you won’t be able to recover your account if you forget the private key. You can find more info on keys here.
- Now you can continue setting up your account. Go back to your profile picture at the top left corner of the home screen and navigate to “Profiles”. From there, click on the icon with the three lines and pen next to “Follow”. You can adjust your profile settings there. If you are done click “Post” in the top right corner to confirm your changes.
- Ok, your account is set up now, let’s fill your feed and follow other people. Click on the search icon in the top right corner and search for accounts you know, or just click on “All Follows” on the home screen (house icon at the bottom left) and select “Global”. You’ll see now all notes that are sent to your connected relays. If you feel overwhelmed, no worries, over time you’ll find new interesting accounts here. Just give it a try.
Logging in with an existing key
- Enter your npub (read only) or nsec (full access) and click “Login”.
- Important: Your private key is stored locally and isn’t collected or stored by Amethyst servers in any way.